The WCTE Scholarship is an initiative presented by the Timber Design Society and is open to early career professionals. Successful recipient(s) will receive financial assistance to go towards attendance at the 2020 World Conference on Timber Engineering in Chile.
The scholarship aims to:
- Provide an opportunity for early career professionals to grow their own skills and experience outside of business as usual.
- Learn from world timber engineering leaders and promote this thinking for the benefit of the Timber Design Society and ultimately the NZ timber industry.
The scope (of submissions) is extremely broad. Submissions are invited which align to specified selection criteria (see below). Individuals are invited to be creative in their thinking and to put forward ideas/initiatives that offer significant personal development to themselves whilst providing benefit to the Timber Design Society and the promotion of timber engineering in New Zealand.
Only one submission is permitted per individual.
The winner of the WCTE Scholarship will receive:
- Financial support of up to the value of $5,000 (NZD) to attend the 2020 World Conference on Timber Engineering in Chile, to cover travel, accommodation and registration costs.
- Complimentary membership of the NZ Timber Design Society for 1 year.
- We encourage applicants to discuss their application with employers and the benefits to their company. We encourage employers to consider further assistance to the applicant, possibly in the form of additional study leave and/or cover for any financial travel and accommodation shortfall or similar.
The winner of the WCTE scholarship is
required to submit a short article suitable for publication to the Timber
Design Society journal, highlighting impressions and learning from the
conference and technical tours.
WCTE2020 Scholarship Proposal
All early career professionals (up to 6 years experience) interested in timber engineering are eligible to participate in the WCTE Scholarship.
- Senior Engineers, Team Leaders or Managers.
|The following is required of all submissions: |
|The Submission Cover Sheet (to enable a fair and consistent review of all submissions).|
|Part Two||The Submission (the format is entirely at the discretion of the applicant but should be aligned to cover the selection criteria detailed below).|
In order to provide process transparency and enable quality submissions, the selection criteria are as follows:
All proposals should be well considered and clearly:
- Put forward an initiative/idea/proposal aimed at increasing the uptake of engineered timber in the construction industry and/or advance knowledge in timber engineering.
- Demonstrate how the opportunity to attend the 2020 WCTE will provide significant personal growth and support this initiative/idea/proposal.
- Offer value to the timber industry in New Zealand.
The judging panel will be made up of the following:
- 3 members of the Timber Design Society Committee (to be confirmed).
|30 April 2020||Submissions close; email email@example.com|
|May 2020||The announcement of the scholarship recipient(s) will be made|
|24-27 August 2020||WCTE 2020 Conference, Santiago, Chile|