A technical group of Engineering New Zealand
Welcome to the New Zealand Timber Design Society website. The purpose of this site is to put tools and information in the hands of designers of timber buildings. Our Design Aids section does exactly that.
The New Zealand Timber Design Society consists of people interested in timber design. Members include engineers, architects, manufacturers, contractors, designers and many others both in New Zealand and around the world.
The New Zealand Timber Design Society exists to foster the designed use of timber. This is achieved by:
- Providing a forum for members for the collection, collation and dissemination of knowledge about the appropriate use of timber in all its forms.
- Promotion of new ideas for the use of timber in all areas of design.
- Designing environmentally sound uses of timber.
- Fostering research into uses of timber.
- Encouraging interaction between groups interested in timber production, design and use.
- Encouraging excellence in design.
- The provision of design aids.
You should consider joining the Timber Design Society if you are involved with the structural use of timber.
Timber Design Centre to create future where timber construction leads the way
Envisioning a future where timber is used more widely in mid to high rise buildings and contributes to carbon neutral targets, is an exciting opportunity in building design. The tools to make this a reality are now coming together with the launch of the Timber Design Centre.
Te Uru Rākau – New Zealand Forest Service deputy director general Jason Wilson announced the launch at the WoodWorks conference today, explaining that the Timber Design Centre aims to increase the use of timber, particularly in structures such as offices, hotels and multi-storey apartments.
The Centre will provide expert advice, research, information and educational resources for those in building design and construction. The services are being shaped directly by industry and the timberdesigncentre.co.nz website has been created to support this from day one.